html counter free
html counter free
The Men’s Probus Club of Skegness founded 1974
9th October Steve Lovell: Wild Scotland Steve gave an interesting slide show of his trip around the Cairngorms area and spoke in some depth about a programme to reintroduce some of the wild life that had disappeared over the years. The Cairngorms Connect organisation was set up to protect the Cairngorms and manage the nature reserve and is a long term project extending over the next 200 years. The river Spey is renowned for its salmon fishing and is a major conservation area of the atlantic salmon. This area is renowned for the diversity of the wildlife found there. The Caledonian Forest has a diverse habitat which makes it a special place and schools etc are encouraged to attend field trips led by an experienced guide who explains how they manage the forest. John Boreham gave a vote of thanks 23rd October Jo Ticehurst and Gemma Leaning - Royal British Legion Jo started with a brief resume of her career in the RAF then went on to talk about the British Legion providing residential care homes that include dementia care break centres within various centres in England and Northern Ireland as Scotland have their own provisions. They provide breaks for up to two weeks for ex service personnel and their carers. They also give direct support for ex service personnel, specialist advice on war pensions, employment and financial help. The RBL help many ex servicemen disabled during their service in Afghanistan by providing specialist equipment for people who have limited movement and amputees. They are pledged to give £50 million over the next ten years in conjunction with the MOD. The poppy appeal of 2018/19 in Lincolnshire raised £1,027,198.55 of which Skegness raised £23,592.08. John Boreham gave a vote of thanks 13th November Phillip Bray : The Norfolk Heritage Fleet Trust Hunter’s Yard is situated in its own dyke off Womack Water in Ludham. The two boat sheds ae largely as they were built in the 1930s using timber in the traditional Broads style with the majority of original features intact and numerous pieces of equipment, tools and boat fittings are on view. Percy Hunter, with his two sons, Cyril and Stanley, built the first shed in 1932 and by the following year they had designed and built and launched the first two cabin yachts of the fleet. The fleet grew each year and a second shed was built in 1935 before the outbreak of war to help house the 14 yachts in the winter months. The last two cabin yachts were completed after the war in the late 1940s. The Hunter family operated the yard until 1968 when it was sold to Norfolk County Council and was renamed Norfolk County Sailing Base. The Council maintained the traditions of the yard, however its main aim was to encourage young people to sail and experience the team spirit involved and discounts were offered to schools. In 1995 the Council decided to sell the yard and its fleet as part of an economy measure. A huge fundraising effort to save the yard was carried out. Donations from across the world of over £100,000 were received. The final boost was provided by the Heritage Lottery Fund with a grant of £200,000. On 1st April 1996 the Norfolk Heritage Fleet Trust took over the yard and re- established it’s original name “Hunters Yard”. John Boreham gave a vote of thanks Members were able to view the many old books and documents on show